A 12-cup coffee maker may be just what you need if you brew coffee for several people at a time. It can make 12 cups of great-tasting coffee within minutes, allowing you to serve large gatherings with ease. This guide provides practical tips on how to choose the right 12-cup coffee maker.
A 12-cup coffee maker may be the right choice for a home with 3 or 4 family members. You can use it to brew coffee for your entire family and also to serve larger groups of guests without any hassles.
Consider the different types of coffee makers
There are so many different types of coffee makers on the market that it’s difficult to decide on which one is right for you. Some of them are French press coffeemakers, pour-over coffee makers, espresso machines and automatic drip coffeemakers.
While all of them have their advantages and disadvantages, a 12-cup automatic drip coffeemaker may be the best choice if you’re looking for a coffee maker for your home.
A 12-cup coffee maker can brew large amounts of coffee within minutes. You can make 12 cups of coffee in a single cycle in a large carafe and serve it to your guests. There’s no need to run multiple cycles on a smaller appliance while some of your guests wait for their cups of coffee.
Look for a coffee maker with the features you need
Twelve-cup coffee machines offer a variety of convenient features, which make it much easier for you to brew coffee the way you like it. Let’s take a look at some of these useful features:
- Programmable settings
A programmable timer allows you to start brewing at a preset time. You can set the time on the previous day and wake up to the smell of delicious freshly-brewed coffee. A brew strength setting allows you to customize the flavor of your coffee.
- Drip brew method
Twelve-cup coffee makers use the drip brew method because most other brewing methods, except cold brew, may not be practical for brewing large amounts of coffee.
Almost all 12-cup coffee machines feature a hot plate that keeps your freshly-brewed coffee hot in the carafe. This is a big help at times when all the coffee will not be used in one go, and your guests will be serving themselves over a period of time.
- Automatic shut-off
Many appliances have an automatic 2-hour shut-off to ensure that they will not remain on indefinitely. This helps to save electricity and also keeps you safe.
- Multi-function capability
This is a very useful feature if you like to make all sorts of hot beverages in different sizes. Such an appliance can dispense a cup of hot water that you can use to make tea. It can also dispense a cup of freshly-brewed coffee directly into your travel mug or coffee cup.
- Temperature and strength settings
The appliance allows you to control the temperature of the water as well as the time taken to saturate the coffee grounds, so you can get a subtle or strong flavor to suit your taste.
- Built-in grinder
It helps to save space and allows you to grind beans minutes before you brew your coffee, helping you to make the freshest and most flavorful coffee.
- Glass carafe vs. thermal carafe
Most coffee makers come with glass carafes, but a more durable thermal carafe can keep your coffee hot for longer. You can fill it and keep it on your breakfast table.
- Paper filter vs. filter basket
A coffee maker with a built-in filter basket allows you to avoid paying for paper filters. However, it takes more time to clean a filter basket, and it may allow finely ground coffee to enter your coffee.
- Pause function
You can use the pause function to pour out a cup of coffee from the carafe before the brewing cycle is complete, though it may be a lot stronger than the rest of pot.
Considerations when choosing a 12-cup coffeemaker:
- While a 12-cup coffee machine can be a big help at times when you’re serving several guests, it’s quite large and requires more space.
- Check the dimensions of the model you’re considering and see if you have enough space for it on your kitchen counter.
- Many of these appliances are quite tall, so check to see if you have sufficient vertical room to keep and operate it.
- Consistency of heat is an important consideration, because it can completely change the strength and flavor of your coffee.
- The appliance needs to brew consistently between 195° and 205°F to produce coffee that tastes and smells great.
- If there is too much heat, your coffee may have a bitter taste and insufficient heat may result in under-extracted coffee.
- A coffee maker needs to be cleaned after use every time, so it’s important to have an appliance that’s easy to clean.
- Most 12-cup coffee makers are used to brew large amounts of coffee, so they need regular cleaning.
- Look for an appliance that’s convenient and easy to use and clean. This will make life a lot easier for you.
Features to look for in a 12-cup coffee maker:
- Brews coffee that tastes wonderful
- Easy-to-use controls
- Automatic keep-warm setting
- User manual provides detailed information that’s easy to understand
- Turns off automatically
- Dishwasher-safe carafe
- Basket and water tank are easily accessible
- Brews very hot coffee
- Works quickly
- Markings on the carafe and tank are easy to read
- Easy to clean
- Pre-programmed settings for beverages
- Water tank is easy to access
It’s best to consider your requirements, priorities, and budget before you start looking for a 12-cup coffee machine. Browse through customer reviews and search for special offers to get the right appliance at an attractive price.